Monday, April 26, 2010

Being Sick Sucks

My poor angel recently was faced with a nice case of Croup. He woke up about 3am and just couldn't seem to catch his breath and was crying up a storm. After I got him calmed down slightly I could tell that he wasn't breathing right so I decided that it was time to visit our local ER. We actually go into the back fairly quickly and they diagnosed him with Croup. In case your little one's haven't had it (lucky you) or you just don't know what it is: Croup is a condition that causes an inflammation of the upper airways — the voice box (larynx) and windpipe (trachea). It often leads to a barking cough or hoarseness, especially when a child cries. It's caused by a virus and normally starts out with normal cold symptoms and reaches it's peak at night.

Anyway Zilla received a breathing treatment (that was seriously lots of fun = typed with as much sarcasm as I can muster) and a steroid shot to help open up his airways. He got to take some lovely meds and we got to use the humidifier which seemed to help at night. I felt so bad for him cause he just was so miserable. I have to say that even though I knew in my head that he wasn't really in any danger seeing your child gasping for breath is something that literally makes your heart hurt and scares you half to death - not pretty. Anyway he's all better now thank goodness.

No comments: