Thursday, February 16, 2012

Finding a School

I'm pretty positive that I have thought more about Zilla's school and school programs in the last six months than I EVER did for myself and that includes my college! I guess I had always just assumed that Zilla would go to public school and I'd really only have to worry about his post High School plans but um I was totally WRONG. Having a child with specail needs comes with a multitude of different worries and that includes their schooling.

Now don't get me wrong I would have been an "involved" parent regardless but believe me when I tell you that report cards, parent/teacher meetings and PTA are not even close to the kind of involvement I currently have. I can't say that I would want my kid to be any different than he is but wow it would be super nice to have even one thing to not worry about. Wow that sounds a little selfish but I can't take it back because it's true and I feel like I never really to be selfish so I guess a personal thought (yeah I'm sharing with you but you know what I mean) isn't so bad in the grand scheme of things.

I'm in the process of trying to figure out if I will be keeping Zilla in his current school next year or possibly moving him to a V.E. (varying exceptionalities - slightly more contained with better teacher/student ratio for kids with ASD) or maybe even to a private school. I am gonna have to map them all out with pros and cons and what match them up to what I need. It's just SO much to process and think about. Zilla doesn't do well at all with change so I have to weigh carefully and really make the right choice for him.

No comments: