Tuesday, February 3, 2015

My Thoughts on Served Hot

Served Hot by Annabeth Albert is a delightfully short read about Robby and David, both of whom have been in closeted unhealthy sounding relationships prior to meeting. Robby who runs a coffee cart in a downtown area of Portland waits everyday for David to come in to get his daily dose of coffee but can't seem to make himself flirt. David comes in every day from his job but seems to be giving some mixed signals for sure in the beginning. Robby and David both come across as shy and reluctant to put themselves out there.

I really enjoyed these two characters because they were just so real and had to fight not only for each other but for themselves. Robby was in a previous relationship for several years where his boyfriend wanted to keep him a secret and controlled a lot of what happened with them. David was previously living in a very small town and in a relationship with a friend who was very much in the closet and liked it that way. David moved to Portland after his relationship was discovered in a very traumatic way. It certainly felt like Davids past 'boyfriend' was the giant elephant in the room throughout much of the book. Robby doesn't want to be a secret ever again so he has to decide if his relationship with David is worth waiting for. David needs to decide if he's ready to be out and open after so many years being pushed into the back of the closet.

I liked that both David and Robby come with some baggage (like real people) and didn't instantly fall in love and act like everything was perfect. Nothing is more annoying in a book than everything falling into place perfectly and all problems evaporate instantly with love. I mean seriously Love is not some magic potion designed to fix your life. I also liked that although it took him a little bit Robby stood up for himself and made it known what he needed. Keeping your feelings bottled up doesn't usually do very well in the end. Once David really shared what he went through I think that helped him realize what he deserved to have and allowed him to fight for his relationship. I was a little worried that Davids past might be too much for them both to get over but I'm glad I was wrong. 

There were several times in the book where the author jumped time and then explained what happened in a sentence or two. That would have been great but this was important stuff we were missing! I wanted to see how the meet the parents went after all the work up for it but I was ROBBED! 

Overall I enjoyed this book quite a bit and I will be checking out this authors other work for sure cause I love me some M/M stories.


This book was provided to me by NetGalley for my honest review.

No comments: