Friday, October 18, 2013

Book Review - Poison Princess

Poison Princess by Kresley Cole is the first book in the Arcana Chronicles Series. I read this book about 5 months ago and just finished the second book yesterday but thought I couldn't very well review the second book without first giving the first its glowing Review. Here's the summary:

Sixteen-year-old Evangeline "Evie" Greene leads a charmed life, until she begins experiencing horrifying hallucinations. When an apocalyptic event decimates her Louisiana hometown, Evie realizes her hallucinations were actually visions of the future—and they're still happening. Fighting for her life and desperate for answers, she must turn to her wrong-side-of-the-bayou classmate: Jack Deveaux.

With his mile-long rap sheet, wicked grin, and bad attitude, Jack is like no boy Evie has ever known. Even though he once scorned her and everything she represented, he agrees to protect Evie on her quest. She knows she can't totally depend on Jack. If he ever cast that wicked grin her way, could she possibly resist him? As Jack and Evie race to find the source of her visions, they meet others who have gotten the same call. An ancient prophesy is being played out, and Evie is not the only one with special powers. A group of twenty-two teens has been chosen to reenact the ultimate battle between good and evil. But it's not always clear who is on which side.Who can Evie trust?

I liked the cast of characters in this book and I also liked how the Author had the Characters evolve and adapt to the new situations they were being faced with after the event they refer to as "The Flash" that changed their world. I didn't particularly like how whiny Evie came across sometimes but then I had to keep telling myself that she's only 16 and going through some major crazy. I honestly wasn't a fan of Jack as Evie's love interest in this book because he was basically a jerk the whole time. The only redeeming quality that I found was that he was protective of Evie and taught her some survival skills. There were also quite a few pages of Evie recounting her days before The Flash and although some reviews I've read didn't like this I enjoy getting a good back story. The ending of the book left me very excited to see where the story and Evie specifically were headed. I seriously enjoyed reading Poison Princess and when I was done got upset that I had to wait until October to read the next book! I will review the second book in the series, The Endless Knight, next week!!!

No comments: